xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Why does Chrome's XSL processor validate my XML files when processing them, and how can I make it stop doing that so that it processes them faster?

2021-02-20 20:33:46
I use the XML Tree extension for Chrome (
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/xml-tree/gbammbheopgpmaagmckhpjbfgdfkpadb?hl=en).
Not only does it color code the output and allow for collapsing sections,
but I suspect it disables the schema parssing.that the Chrome native
processor uses.

*Kurt Cagle*
Community/Managing Editor
Data Science Central, A TechTarget Property
kcagle(_at_)techtarget(_dot_)com or kurt(_dot_)cagle(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
443-837-8725

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 6:00 PM Wolfhart Totschnig
wolfhart(_dot_)totschnig(_at_)mail(_dot_)udp(_dot_)cl
<xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Dear list,

I have run into a performance issue to which I cannot find the solution.

I have made a couple of changes to my project in the last couple of
days. The project mainly consists in many small XML files that I write
with an XML editor but read with a web browser (Chrome). That is, I have
an XSL stylesheet that transforms these XML files into HTML and which is
executed by the browser when loading the files. Now, one of the changes
I made is to switch from a DTD to an XSD for my XML files. And the
problem is that now the browser loads the files noticeably more slowly.
Concretely, I see a white screen for a fraction of a second before the
file is displayed. I am very puzzled by this. I would have thought that
switching from a DTD to an XSD would not have any effect on the
performance of the XSL processor because the processor would ignore the
associated DTD or XSD, respectively. But apparently that is not the
case. Hence my question: Why does Chrome's XSL processor validate my XML
files when processing them? I don't understand why it would do that. I
just want the processor to execute the code, i.e., transform the XML
into HTML. Also, and more importantly, is there a way -- a line of code
that I could add to the XSL stylesheet -- that would make it stop
validating the files and hence process them faster?

Two notes:

1) Since I made several changes to my project, I am not 100 % certain
that the drop in performance was caused by the switch from DTD to XSD.
But I think that I have excluded all other possibilities by reversing
the changes step by step. So I am 95 % certain that this is where the
problem lies.

2) I could not test the issue with another web browser because Chrome is
the only browser that I can get to execute the stylesheet at all. All
other browsers that I have tried refuse to execute the stylesheet on my
local XML files, supposedly for security reasons.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Wolfhart