xsl-list

Re: [xsl] user-defined XSLT functions and stylesheet variables?

2021-06-20 12:48:33

On 20 Jun 2021, at 18:35, Jeremy Cronk jcronk(_at_)ivansinsurance(_dot_)com

Forgive my ignorance on this, but why is there a global context item in the
first place?  I’ve never seen it do anything but cause trouble, but on the
other hand, I’ve never seen it actually being used except by global
variables.

I guess you have to go back to the design thinking for XSLT 1.0 here. 1.0 was
designed largely on the principle of "no run-time errors", and part of this was
that there was always a context item defined. Future versions, of course, had
to retain compatibility.

Michael Kay
Saxonica