xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Got an XSLT function that does value intersection (not identity intersection)?

2021-07-08 08:31:36
In this situation, you can use grouping:

<xsl:for-each-group select="row" group-by="x, y" composite="yes">
  <xsl:sequence select="current-group()[1]"/>
</xsl:for-each>

If your comparison operation is more complex (e.g., deep-equal()) then it gets
more difficult, and the best way might be to form the canonical serialization
of each element and group on that. (Saxon offers canonical serialization with
the extension attribute saxon:canonical="yes").

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 8 Jul 2021, at 14:19, Roger L Costello costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org

Hi Folks,

I have an XML document that consists of <row> elements:

<Document>
   <row>
       <x>1</x>
      <y>2</y>
   </row>
   <row>
       <x>3</x>
      <y>4</y>
   </row>
   <row>
       <x>1</x>
      <y>2</y>
   </row>
</Document>

I want to eliminate duplicate rows.

The XPath intersect operator is appealing:

$document intersect $document

because intersect eliminates duplicates. Unfortunately, that doesn't work
because row1 and row2 are "duplicates" only if they are the exact same <row>
element, i.e., same identity.

I need an intersection operator that eliminates duplicates based on value.
Since row[1] and row[3] above have the same elements with the same values,
they are duplicates.

Do you have a function that does intersection based on value, not identity?
Or, perhaps you recommend another way to eliminate duplicates?

/Roger