xsl-list

Re: [xsl] My XPath mistakenly referenced an element that doesn't exist and I got no error message ... is this bad language design?

2021-10-14 14:49:00
Yes, that's why the question doesn't make sense 'in general'... but if
there's some context by which this hypothetical colleague wants a warning
any time select generates a null sequence, 'doing it twice' is feasible
with a straightforward preprocessor.  I've mainly used this method for
debugging, personally.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 9:55 AM dvint dvint(_at_)dvint(_dot_)com <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

That only tells you this particular instance doesn't include that element
or content. It doesn't tell you if the path might actually exist in some
other context

-------- Original message --------
From: "BR Chrisman brchrisman(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com" <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Date: 10/14/21 9:48 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] My XPath mistakenly referenced an element that doesn't
exist and I got no error message ... is this bad language design?

It's not very difficult to apply a transform to the stylesheet grabbing
the @select from value-of or apply-templates or what not into new xsl:if
test="count(@select) = 0"... xsl:message ... if warnings is what your
colleague wants.

- Brian