xsl-list

[xsl] PDF output - file can't be opened

2021-12-23 10:19:30
Hi -

A colleague sent me a style sheet they use to convert XML to PDF.  I'm using
saxon and running it using a command line in a batch file, with the command as
follows:

java.exe -cp saxon9he.jar net.sf.saxon.Transform -t
-s:"../other_peoples/bertha/VdM_EAD export.xml"
-xsl:"../other_peoples/bertha/at_MetModified.xsl"
-o:../other_peoples/bertha/test.pdf

When I run it using their XML, it successfully produces a PDF file but when I
try to open the file Adobe gives me this error:

Adobe Acrobat could not open "test.pdf" because it is either not a supported
file type or because the file has been damaged....

So: their XML, their XSL, my XSL processor and command line.  I can open the
output PDF file in Notepad and view all the fo:blocks and so on.  However, when
I attempt to open some other random PDF for comparison I just see a bunch of
random illegible stuff.   So I'm thinking that my output is missing some
particular bit of info that makes the file a legit PDF.

What might be causing this problem?  Do I need to tweak the style sheet, for
example, or my command line to properly produce PDF?  I've never worked with
PDF files and don't know much about them.

Thanks

Michele
+++++++++
Michele Combs | Lead Archivist
Special Collections Research Center
Visit our blog! library-blog.syr.edu/scrc/<http://library-blog.syr.edu/scrc/>
Syracuse University Libraries
222 Waverly Ave
Syracuse, New York 13244
t 315.443-2081 | e
mrrothen(_at_)syr(_dot_)edu<mailto:mrrothen(_at_)syr(_dot_)edu> | w scrc.syr.edu
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
syr.edu