xsl-list

Re: [xsl] How do you prove that your XSLT programs are correct?

2022-04-15 09:57:53
At 2022-04-15 14:39 +0000, Eliot Kimber
eliot(_dot_)kimber(_at_)servicenow(_dot_)com wrote:
One of the practical challenges in testing the output of XSLTs is the sheer cost of maintaining the test cases themselves: if you?re using some kind of diff-based checker (this is something we used for the GAO HTML publishing system using a home-grown XML diff mechanism) then you have to maintain the exemplars you?re testing against, which can be a significant time cost.

In general I?ve found it more practical to depend on output inspection using both artificial test case documents where the content says what the correct expected result is as well as realistic content. This puts the time cost in the inspection and depends on the knowledge of the inspectors but tends to be a lower time cost overall. This is usually in the context of relatively low-budget projects or projects where absolute correctness is not a top concern (i.e., not safety critical or in a regulated industry).

Testing PDF output is even more of a challenge?Antenna House sells a PDF comparator tool that appears to do what you need (I?ve never actually used the product) but you face the same exemplar maintenance challenge as for XML or HTML outputs.

I can attest to how valuable the Antenna House PDF comparator tool AHRTS has been for the https://RealtaOnline.com project that I'm on. I could not live without it. Having it catch something as subtle as adding an inherited attribute and not realizing the impact that it has by moving content over by just one pixel when I didn't want it to. Never would I have noticed by eye.

And in our situation I have addressed many customers by writing onion-skin shells around a core set of stylesheets ... being able to test a change in the core against all of the customers' differing uses of the core means that AHRTS will catch me when a change I make in the core for one customer impacts the expected results of another customer.

I would not have the confidence in my changes without this tool watching my back!

Cheers,

E.

Eliot Kimber

Sr Staff Content Engineer