xsl-list

[xsl] xml vs json

2022-04-16 15:54:20
Let's assume you're agnostic regarding input and output formats, so you're
ready to work either with xml or with logically equivalent json input and
output data.

Then we have a question: how xslt processing will compare for two logically
equivalent pipelines: where one deals with xml, and other with json?

We have several hypotheses that hint on advantage of json, like:

- json is lighter than xml to serialize and deserialize;
- json stored as map(*), array(*) and other item() are lighter than node() at
runtime, in particular subtree copy has zero cost in json;
- templates with match patterns to some extent can be efficiently implemented
for maps using lookups of functions;
To prove anything we need to commit an experiment (we're going to use Saxon as
engine).

So, our question to the community: is there an isolated small representative
xslt around xml (along with xml files) for us to use as a model to build
equivalent xslt around json?

Thanks
--
Vladimir Nesterovsky