Re: MUA Mail Options for a Mailing List

2004-10-12 20:38:06

I'm following up on my message:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hector Santos" <winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com>
To: "ietf-822 list" <ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>

a) Does a MUA need to detect a Mailing List Message as oppose to a just a
pure email message?

b) If so, what headers can assist the MUA to detect a mailing list
message?

I think maybe standardizing of a "List-Address:" header would help address
both questions.

c) What are the most desirable reply/new mail options for a mailing list?

    Reply to List (very similar to a news Reply To Group idea)?
    Reply to Directly to Author?
    Reply to All?

If the above is used, what would be the addresses used?

For maximum backward compatibility:

    Reply to List: <-- List-Address: |  Reply-To: |  From:
    Reply to Sender: <--  Reply-To: |  From:
    Reply to All <--  List-Address:?,  Reply-To:, To:, Cc:

Should a reply to All? Go to the list as well?

Is that enough?  How about follow ups?

    Follow up to List:
    Follow up directly to author?
    Follow up to all?

Does that make sense?

I think Follow ups are similar to replies with the difference is how the
mail is quoted or not quoted, including possible a body header and footer
being address:

        --- This is a follow up ....
        [original body]

Comments?

Do we need a  Message-Followup-To? (MFT) header?  how does it fit here?

So I see so far two possible new headers:

    Message-Followup-To: ??

More considerations:

While helping the MUA with the network headers, how about the Display
Headers?

The issue here I think will be based on how much an expander should or even
if it should prepare each message so that the following is correct: