Re: non-member messages to lists (was Re: reply etiquette)

2004-10-12 21:15:05

From: "Laird Breyer" <laird(_at_)lbreyer(_dot_)com>

I'm talking about a mailing list server which has an internal list of
subscriber addresses, and any message sent to the list address is
distributed to each of the subscribers. If some of the subscribers
have indicated special preferences for how they would like to receive
*their* copies of the messages sent by others to the list, then the
server can perform whatever action is preferred on *their* copies of
the messages, based on both the message content and the archive of
past messages if needed. The fact that such action can depend on
message content and past archive is what makes the server "smart".

Good point.   However, it is easily overcome by creating two separate
replies. One to the list, and then resending the sent message in the "Sent
folder" to the direct address.

But in a default behavior, very good point.  The SMTP server would be
getting the original message as a multi RCPT TO: transaction can maybe
handle this directly?   I guess it would need to have access to the separate
list server subscriber database, more integrated.

Our SMTP receiver thread will get the single transaction with multi RCPT TO:
which then signals the SMTP router thread which will expand it for the
separate RCPT TO:   The directs emails are now on their own and queued for
the SMTP sender thread.. The specific list address message is locally stored
which is then picked up by the list server.

Off hand, this sounds like its better handled by a smarter MUA with dupe
processing logic.

http://www.santronics.com