Re: [openpgp] Intent to deprecate: Insecure primitives

2015-03-16 09:56:33
On Mar 16, 2015, at 10:49 AM, Stephen Paul Weber
<singpolyma(_at_)singpolyma(_dot_)net> wrote:

- Asymmetric algorithms, generally: RSA-ES, DSA.

Are you referring to Public Key Algorithms specifically here?  in
particular, this table:

If so, RSA-ES (pubkey algorithm 1) is very widely used, even for keys
that are only marked for one usage (signatures or encryption).  In fact,
i don't think there are many RSA keys labeled RSA-E (algo 2) and RSA-S
(algo 3) at all.  Why treat RSA-ES separately for deprecation?

In fact, aren't the RSA-E and RSA-S algorithms basically just historical /
mostly deprecated in favour of marking keys for a particular use?

Yes.  If I recall, they predate the "key flags" method of indicating the
intended purpose of a key.  4880 makes them SHOULD NOT generate, but
implementations are allowed to interpret them if they want to (I'd assume as a
type 1 RSA key with an implicit key flags saying encrypt-only or sign-only, but
that's just my reading).

David