Re: [openpgp] Requesting the editor to step down

2020-04-20 04:06:58
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:35, Ronald Tse said:

The said issues would be better resolved by finalizing the RFC 4880bis
document and publishing it.

Except for some unimportant details we already had rough consensus on
the I-D a long time ago.  There are even at least 3 interoperable
implementations of the new features.

With the attacks on the keyserver in the last summer there was the idea
to add countermeasures to the I-D.  They are now specified (attestation
key signatures) and I am not aware of technical problems with that
proposal.  I do regularly publish revisions of the I-D to keep it from
expiring.  Since -09 these are in the queue:

722ed9e * Typo fix
30d8397 * Introduce the Key Block subpacket to align OpenPGP with CMS.
669f73f * Typo fix
6fd718d * Revert to the RFC4880 requirement of having a User ID.

Right, the Key Block subpacket[1] has not yet been discussed but I hope
this is non-controversial because it is another workaround for the
keyserver problems and allows for better decentralized use.  Experience
has show that this is very useful and should, similar to S/MIME, not be
done at the MIME level.

Open editorial tasks are:

 - Clarify how MPIs are used with 25519 and X448.
   (Gniibe proposed a change last fall)
 - Add X448
 - Fix some fallout with the recently done markup language change.
 - Final proof reading

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

[1]
Key Block

(1 octet with value 0, N octets of key data)

This subpacket MAY be used to convey key data along with a signature
of class 0x00, 0x01, or 0x02.  It MUST contain the key used to create
the signature; either as the primary key or as a subkey.  The key
SHOULD contain a primary or subkey capable of encryption and the
entire key must be a valid OpenPGP key including at least one User ID
packet and the corresponding self-signatures.

Implementations MUST ignore this subpacket if the first octet does not
have a value of zero or if the key data does not represent a valid
transferable public key.