Re: getting IPv6 space without ARIN (Re: PAT )

2000-08-21 15:40:02

"Brian" == Brian E Carpenter <brian(_at_)hursley(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>
writes:
    Brian> Sean Doran wrote:
    >>  "David R. Conrad" <David(_dot_)Conrad(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> writes:
    >>
    >> > Only transit providers (whatever they are) should be getting v6 >
    >> addresses from the registries.
    >>
    >> Since deployment seems to be based initially upon virtual topologies
    >> that are disjoint from the underlying IPv4 topology (i.e., using
    >> tunnels), surely anyone who is open to allowing other sites to connect
    >> to their virtual topology should be eligible for address space?

    Brian> Yes, but that doesn't *necessarily* mean a prefix short enough to
    Brian> be in the (hopefully small) default free table. If someone is
    Brian> setting up a regional virtual topology they begin to look like a
    Brian> metro exchange and something longer than a /29 TLA prefix might be
    Brian> OK. But I tend to agree with Sean.

  Bingo. That's what we (a group of interested parties, not Solidum) are
looking to setup among five friendly small/medium sized ISPs that happen to
share co-location space.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
        mailto:mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
mailto:mcr(_at_)solidum(_dot_)com