Re: Deployment vs the IPv6 community's ambivalence towards large providers

2000-08-22 00:30:02
    Date:        21 Aug 2000 02:23:38 +0200
    From:        Sean Doran <smd(_at_)ebone(_dot_)net>

  | Funny, that's EXACTLY what an ATM fan said to me in 1995!

ATM was never rational competition for IP, it competes with FDDI,
ethernet, frame relay, ...

I understand that some ATM advocates thought it could replace everything
but that was never rational.   On the other hand, IPv6 and IPv4 are
essentially the same.   Except IPv6 has enough addresses for everyone.
As soon as there's an application which requires global addresses for
lots of devices (and IP phones just might be that application, if they're
not, something else will be) the continued life of IPv4 with NAT to make
its apparent address space bigger is doomed.

kre