Re: paralysis

2004-03-07 20:29:59

--On 7. mars 2004 15:03 -0800 Michael Thomas <mat(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Fine. Truth in advertising is wonderful. Then
what?  From what I can tell, anything that falls
short of perfection then gets summarily
executed. What metrics do you suggest when the
answer is less than perfect that doesn't result in
paralysis? That seems to be the real breakdown
here.

acknowledge the non-perfection, say that in your estimation, the benefit is still greater than the cost, and march on. ((we're starting to get there (I think) with the proposals presented at the MARID BOF - while they don't "solve" anything, IMHO, they have a couple of significant benefits, which seems likely to be larger than their cost.))

the idea that you should stop trying because you've been publicly ridiculed is one that has always struck me as somewhat strange. Either you believe in your ideas even after you've carefully considered the objections raised, or you don't.
If you don't, you should give up.
If you still believe in them, you're still alive.