Re: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-19 14:59:23

On 19 Nov 2004, at 15:06, Jon Allen Boone wrote:

2. Someone suggested the you simply use a different provider for IPv6 than IPv4. Presumably, in this scenario, you get your address space from this new provider, then establish a 6to4 tunnel to them.

No; if you use 6to4, you construct your own 2002::-covered address range using your 6to4 router's IPv4 address. You get your own /48 without having to ask anybody else for it. There's a tunnel involved, but the endpoint (IPv4) addresses are automagically assigned (one is an address you have installed on your router already, and the other is a well-known anycast address).

Using a remote (not directly connected) provider for IPv6 transit usually involves a deliberately-plumbed tunnel, not an automagically-plumbed one. In that case the remote provider assigns PA addresses to you.

I mean, no one's seriously suggesting an organization throw real money down on yet another circuit to yet another provider just to get IPv6 connectivity for particular reason, right?

Tunnels don't cost real money. They cost pretend money.

There are performance pitfalls with plumbing things over tunnels. I personally dislike them; they make me twitchy. Don't let me inadvertently colour myself as some great tunnel proponent.

However, my point is that the argument "even if I wanted to, I can't use IPv6 because my ISP doesn't support it" should be marked down as "false, incorrect, rigourously debunked".

So the argument "I can't get IPv6 addresses because my provider doesn't have any to give me" is false, by extension. The trick with that one is to find a provider who can give some to you.

And, presumably, the IPv6 provider isn't actually *charging* for this service, right?

I'm not aware of any v6-over-tunnel providers who charge money.

Small data point that may be interesting to some people: getting IPv6 access on a modern Macintosh computer using 6to4 is as simple as selecting "Network Port Configurations" in the network preferences pane, and ticking "6to4". That's it -- instant dancing kame.

It's a bit trickier than that - you have to *create* the 6to4 network port the first time. But, once you've created it, it's just a matter of clicking the checkbox.

Oh right, that rings a bell. Even with those three extra clicks, I still bet my mother could do it.

Joe