Re: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-28 18:36:08
jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com (JFC (Jefsey) Morfin)  wrote on 21.11.04 in
<6(_dot_)1(_dot_)2(_dot_)0(_dot_)2(_dot_)20041121141948(_dot_)0cb89eb0(_at_)mail(_dot_)jefsey(_dot_)com>:

packet-switch networks. The internet (small "i") is not even defined in the
French law where the word is broadly used and understood as the generic
support of the "on-line public communications" and the digital ecosystem of
the nation. I suppose the German legal understanding is equivalent since
the French law applies the European directive.

I'm not aware of any German law talking specifically about the Internet
(needs to be capital I in German). The RegTP (the regulators, regtp.de)
talk quite a bit, and IIRC once so did the Kartellamt (our version of the
Monopolies and Merger Commission), but no laws that I know of.

And of course our politicians like to talk about it just as much as the US
ones.

I can't make much sense of the rest of your message. I see that you're
passionate for *something*, but what is very unclear; you seem opposed to
the IETF, but for no sensible reason I can determine. Oh, and you seem to
trust the market far more than I do - you sound positively US in that
respect.

Do not think that Yankees will understand us

... I'm beginning to think it's the French who understand differently.
(The US just often plain do not know what happens outside their borders.)

 Can you have an IP address associate with your
ISDN?

That doesn't even make sense!

 Can you use X.25 on your ISDN?

With whom? X.25 seems to be dead as a doornail.

 OSI is
too rigid for them

In fact, *OSI* is mostly dead as a doornail.

MfG Kai