Re: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-14 07:19:14
Bruce Lilly scripsit:

Feh. Whatever. The human-readable stuff that corresponds
to the code which you say shouldn't be read.   The stuff
without which codes are meaningless.  The stuff without
which two communicating parties cannot agree on the meaning
of "XX".

Two communicating parties can unquestionably agree on the meaning of
"XX" without both English and French definitions.  Either will suffice.
Indeed, if either definition provided a nuance not available to the
other, they would not be interchangeable, and one would have to be
the authentic definition and the other a mere aide-memoire.

--
[W]hen I wrote it I was more than a little              John Cowan
febrile with foodpoisoning from an antique carrot