RE: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-14 10:51:44
Mark and I have both worked extensively with time zone issues, so we're aware
of the potential problems.

RFC 3339 would be an appropriate substitute: its "full-date" production
describes the ISO 8601 profile used by the draft.

I would also tend to agree that lack of a timezone would be ambiguous in most
applications. However, for this use I think that:

  a) the dates indicate the date of accession of each subtag to the registry.
These dates will all be in the past. Since the registry itself is versioned and
has its own date record, the question of time zone is probably not important
because implementations will use their registry date and not an arbitrary date
to determine compatibility. That is: the dates will all be used in the same
context with one another.

  b) we can safely assume (or explicitly state) the use of UTC time based on
the above.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com

Chair, W3C Internationalization Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.