RE: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-03 13:01:49

--On Tuesday, 03 January, 2006 06:47 +0200 Yaakov Stein
<yaakov_s(_at_)rad(_dot_)com> wrote:

The downside is that when a group is working on a document
in Word, anyone not having the SW would not be able to
directly  contribute - but joint work is not really practical
using any system without tracking anyway.

That is an interesting observation.  It must be true since you
say it is.

However, I wonder what it means that I have my name, as author
or editor, on, by rough count, 27 RFCs.  And I've been a major
contributor (of text, not just ideas, for a few more).  Of
those,  all but about three were collaborative, with multiple
people contributing text.   And, of that group, the number that
started in Word, including one of those non-listed-editor
collaborations, was two.

I guess the other 25+ documents must not have been practical to
produce.

At one level, I'm sympathetic to what you are saying and trying
to accomplish.  While there are many characteristics of Word
that I dislike, I like its tracking facilities and ability to
turn tracking displays and marginal comments on and off.  Used
properly, I find them much more satisfactory than anything I've
been able to do with CVS-like and Diff-like systems: the latter
are better at identifying what has been changed (although that
can be effectively simulated in Word by letting it generate
change tracking by comparing two documents) but far worse at
recording and identifying the reasons why the changes were made.
Unfortunately, even if one ignores most of the issues with
proprietary format and costs, it is hopeless for IETF use in
managing working documents and RFCs.  Among the problems:

        (1) Its template mechanism is very version-sensitive and
        fairly fragile.  If one makes template or option changes
        to accommodate IETF needs, one cannot then go back and
        forth with the formatting requirements of "day job"
        documents without risking making a royal, and
        essentially irreversible, mess.

        (2) Its Style model is even more version-sensitive and
        even more fragile.  It is also badly documented and
        idiosyncratic.  But it, or major template changes, or
        both, are necessary if one is going to produce IETF
        documents that correspond to RFC Editor norms (and I'm
        not just talking about ASCII output).

        (3) Its cross-reference model is so "smart" in terms of
        what can be referenced, what header styles it can be
        used with, etc., that cross-references in RFC Style and
        within RFC objects are not consistently possible.  The
        facilities of WordPerfect 4.2 in this area, nearly two
        decades ago, were far superior, I believe because of
        less of an attitude of "we know what you need and, if we
        don't supply it, you don't need it".

        (4) Others have pointed out the versioning problem in
        terms of reading documents, but it is worse than that.
        I've seen document formatting and structure destroyed
        beyond recognition or recovery by the simple mechanism
        of being moved back and forth among authors who are
        using different version of Word, even when Word 2000 is
        the oldest of them.   I know how to mitigate that
        problem but it would require far more drastic changes in
        how the IETF does business than merely switching working
        document formats.

        (5) Other than change-tracking, Word has very little
        built-in collaboration machinery.  I have the impression
        that there are even fewer such facilities in recent
        versions than in earlier ones.  Instead, the strong
        collaboration facilities require even more expensive
        versions of Office, use of Outlook for email, and other
        client and server conventions that would be far more
        problematic for the IETF.

        (6) While I had high hopes for the XML output from Word
        (again, available only with Office Professional and
        above, if there is an "above), the 2003 version turns
        out to be one of the stranger things I have every seen.
        The XML output from Office 12 is supposed to be much
        better -- I haven't seen it-- but it is, again,
        incompatible.

That is by no means my entire list, but it is indicative.  And
others may have other lists or entries.

For all of those reasons and others -- and I am still concerned
about costs and share the concerns of others about proprietary
and changing formats -- actually IETF use of Word seems to be to
be a non-starter.

I do believe that, if you want to do initial document
preparation in Word, you should be able to do that.  As others
have suggested, no one I know of is really interested in
standardizing on or requiring a particular editor.  But, to do
so, you need to be able to produce an editable format that is no
worse than ASCII.  You may have better ideas, but, as I have
explored that range of options, I've come to the conclusion that
there ought to be two ways to accomplish that end.  They are:

        (1) Development of an "IETF printer driver" that can be
        distributed as freeware or with minimal costs and
        restrictions and that would produce lines and pages of
        the right layouts _and_ would handle "smart character"
        to ASCII conversions, generation of appropriate
        line-ending sequences, etc.  Whomever developed this
        thing would need to make a long-term commitment to
        producing and maintaining versions for every version of
        Windows from, I think, Win98 through the indefinite
        future.  The generic printer and the conventions of RFC
        3285 are demonstrably not good enough.

        (2) Development of a converter between the MS-XML output
        of Word Pro 2003 and the XML input of RFC 2629bis so
        that xml2rfc and its friends could take responsibility
        for final formatting.  Note that, if the converter were
        two-way, you could edit happily in Word and others could
        edit happily in XML and both could interwork.  However,
        as with the above, I think this solution would rapidly
        deteriorate into uselessness unless there were a
        commitment to produce new versions as new versions of
        Office appeared -- at least until Microsoft stabilizes
        and documents their XML formats.

To the extent to which the trend toward a requirement --not just
an option-- for XML input to the RFC Editor process --
continues, the first of these options might easily become
unavailable.

    john