RE: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-04 21:50:34
If you do not know how to do that with Word, there is help to get.

Yes, in RFC 3285.

3285 Using Microsoft Word to create Internet Drafts and RFCs. M.
     Gahrns, T. Hain. May 2002. (Format: TXT=34556 bytes) (Status:
     INFORMATIONAL)

[YJS] Yes of course we all have used that.

However, unfortunately there are problems with that route
and no-one is supporting it (as XML2RFC is supported).

For example, when printing directly from Word (rather
than first producing the ASCII and then printing)
the margins are all wrong.

Also, certain combinations of characters I use in ASCII art
cause (for some unknown and undocumented reason)
strange unprintable characters to appear in the ASCII version.

In the past I have reported problems to the authors of the RFC,
who responded but obviously did not have the time
to look into the specifics.

I also tried the TeX tools. I am a TeX fanatic and have
written countless articles and two large books in TeX,
including my own styles and "low level" programming.

The LaTeX style is not very good and also apparently
unsupported. The several dvi2txt tools I tried all had bugs.
I was going to hack up something myself, but then was scared
off by my own experiences, realizing that if I started I would
have to support the thing for the rest of my mortal life.

So I returned to XML except for cooperative drafts.
And I suffer. But at  least when I contribute to  ITU, MFA,
MEF, ETSI, etc I don't have to shop around.
I simply use the editor already installed on my
computer.

Y(J)S