Re: objection to proposed change to "consensus"

2006-01-06 04:46:00
On Jan 5, 2006, at 18:35, Sandy Wills wrote:
People who agree will mumble "yeah" under their breath and otherwise ignore the post. People who disagree will reply on the list. After two weeks, someone will compare the size of the subscriber list to the number of negative replies, and we'll all start gathering rocks together.

Then there are people who will mumble, "that's so stupid/bad/foolish/ misguided, and virtually all of the many responses are negative, it'll never pass", and otherwise ignore the post. I doubt I'm the only one who sometimes finds himself in that camp.

Then there are those who will mumble, "I don't care about this", and otherwise ignore the post. Like I do for the majority of the IETF- wide last-call announcements on things like, say, IP over MPEG-2, or Calendar Access Protocol.

Personally, I object to the suggestion that my "vote" should be counted one way or another if I am silent. At most, it should be counted as "no strong opinion". Or should I now start responding to all the Last Calls with "I don't care about this, so please don't count me as supporting it"?

For an IETF-wide last call, I do think it's reasonable to assume that the proposing working group -- the "rough consensus" of the group, not necessarily every participant -- is indicating approval of the document by bringing it forward. But that's a *small* bias in favor, not a large one.

Ken