Re: Meeting Survey Results

2006-01-25 12:52:10

Steve,

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 01:38:03PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

I agree with your observation -- 802.11a users are more satisfied with
the network.  I made sure that I got an 802.11a-capable interface when
I bought a new laptop.  But I'm reluctant to tell everyone to do that
without more assurance that it will solve the problem.  We've heard
lots of hypotheses over the years on what to do about 802.11b/g,
including lower-power access points, more attention to channel
assignment, and getting people to turn off ad hoc mode.  None of those
have solved the problem.  Will switching to 802.11a?  Is there other
prior art we need to look at?

Theory and practical experience both indicate that 802.11a can give
you better performance in IETF settings.

And for the record, we are not talking about switching to 802.11a
(check out: http://www.ietf.org/meetings/notes_noc65.html). We are
advising people to bring a card/dongle that is capable of 802.11a to
take advantage of this better performing technology. At current prices
(it is not hard to find prices well below US$50), this seems a rather
small investment to make.

David Kessens
---