Re: "too many notes" -- a modest proposal

2006-01-26 23:07:46
On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 05:16:59PM +0100, Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:
Brian E Carpenter writes:

Exactly. If a WG group is discussing a dozen separate issues in parallel,
an active participant can easily send several dozen *constructive*
messages in a day. Our problem with disruptive messages can't be solved
by counting bytes.

Set a rolling monthly quota, then.  Nobody constantly sends a long
stream of consistently productive messages.

Anthony,

        As a gentle suggestion from one of the Sargeant-At-Arms.  If
you were to keep track of how many messages you have been posting
compared to others, I think you would find that you are one of the
more prolific posters on this thread.  And if you were to stop, take a
breath, and post a single message comprising your thoughts on all of
the messages that you have been reading, and were to self-impose your
own quota on the number of messages you have posted, it would very
likely make the IETF list a more pleasant place to converse.

        This is a discpline that I would recommend to all who are
posting to the IETF list... .but given that you are one of the more
prolific as of late and you seem to have suggested the quota idea
without any idea of the potential irony of that statement, I would
like to commend to you your own suggestion.

        As others have suggested, if you were take as your model the
posting frequency and the thoughtfulness of John Klensin's posts, it
would be hard for you to go wrong.

        Regards,

                                                - Ted