Re: IETF65 hotel location

2006-01-27 09:39:23
This statement, "The Wyndham is less than a ten minute walk from the
Hilton Anatole." is a bit odd -- at least Maporama prints out the
distance as 22.7 kilometers, 16 mins with a car.  Did I do something
wrong?

Whassa matter, 23 km is too far to walk?  Wimp.

Visiting Dallas without a car is like visiting Nome without a parka.
It just isn't done.  I've heard reports of police stopping people for
suspicious behavior, with the behavior being that they were walking.

Rental cars are cheap.  I found one for $17/day at the airport.  Since
a taxi from the airport to the hotel is about $35 each way, a car is
basically the same price and it gives you the option of leaving the
hotel.

Google Maps has an excellent view of the area around the hotel, on
which you can zoom way in and see the individual cars in the parking
lot.  You won't need a parka, but if you plan to do much walking, you
may need a gas mask.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2201+N+Stemmons+Freeway,+Dallas,+TX&btnG=Search&t=h&ll=32.801182,-96.827209&spn=0.012193,0.021393&t=h

There are a lot of hotels in the area other than the two on the IETF
web site, easily found through services like Orbitz and Expedia, or by
looking at the satellite map and observing all the swimmming pools,
each of which belongs to a hotel or motel, then clicking Find
Businesses, and tell it you want hotels:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=hotel&near=2201+N+Stemmons+Freeway,+Dallas,+TX&btnG=Search&ll=32.801182,-96.827209&spn=0.012193,0.014398&t=h

I'm staying at the Marriott Fairfield Inn down the street, for
$99/night which is supposed to include breakfast and WiFi.  Orbitz
wanted me to prepay but I got the same price non-prepay at
marriott.com.  The Wyndam is actually about two blocks south of the
Anatole, inside the bend of the creek.  Google says it's 33 seconds
away by car.

There doesn't appear to be anywhere to eat nearby other than the hotel
restaurants, so you're right, if you don't want to starve, you need a
taxi, a car, or a friend with one.

R's,
John