Re: What's an experiment?

2006-02-16 08:36:48
At 14:16 16/02/2006, Joe Baptista wrote:
Thats happening regardless of the IETF - www.public-root.com, www.inaic.com and www.unifiedroot.com. Failed experiments result in successful evolution.

Dear Joe,
these are individual experiments we all carried. And this gave us some experience. It is like publishing an RFC for experimentation. I think Brian is asking for more. A generalised concept. This is what ICANN called for. This is what we tried to achieve with http://dot-root.com : a real test bed, for these kind of applications to work together ad experimenda. It told us much. But we closed it. This was good experience towards the "unitry" project I introduced in Luxembourg, at the ccTLD Meeting.

If I take your example, I would say experiment should be about how public-root can help unifiedroot, how can they mutually monitor and inform inaic if they have been hacked. Also, the applications you quote are here to stay. By nature experimentation is temporary - but a test-bed can be permanent. I know the mutual help spirit between open roots, but experimentation is about joint reporting, result sharing, common best eventual practices and generic code being produced.

I think if the IETF considers this, everyone should be more than welcome. The problem is to organise a conceptual framework. Then to build and maintain a test environment. May be now the IASA could help? Also users should clearly know that a few things may be different. Or if standard conditions are simulated to benefit from real traffic and test other issues. For example the Klensin's IDN test project: we should first know about it.

I think that the first target of experimentation is to convince everyone. Open and alternative roots for example are everywhere and this will increase. But they have not convinced the (RFC 3774) "affinity group". It shows that their first requirement to convince would be a total transparency and progressive innovation (risk containment). Open/alternative roots have always be seens as "commercials" and therefore as opaque (even when private or non-profit), and the vector of a radical change (even if it is more and more on us).

As a general remark, one the problems of the IETF is there are too many people who want to win, and only a few who are looking for being convinced .... jfc