RE: What's an experiment?

2006-02-18 10:05:52

Behalf Of Eliot Lear

It would seem to me that the purpose of an experimental RFC
is to let people perform and participate in (rather public)
experiments on the Internet.  A reasonable standard for
"experimental" is that there be a thesis and a procedure so
that the experiment can be repeated, observations can be
made, and conclusions can be drawn.  The thesis should be
clear as to what is being tested, and it should at least pass
the laugh test.  Further, the standard for design of the
experiment should provide for the least practicable
interference with other ongoing operations (experimental or not).

That overlooks the fact that often the protocol is written up after the
experiment, the results of which are described elsewhere.

The main ongoing experiments are of the form: 'I believe that the
protocol approach described in this document to address real deployment
needs better than the WG consensus.'