Re: ULA-C (Was: Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it)

2007-09-18 11:13:58
Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 18-sep-2007, at 17:50, Jeroen Massar wrote:

I don't think ULA-C makes sense. We have a RIR system in place. These
RIRs are supposed to provide address space for people/organizations who
can justify a need for that address space.

That's like selling train tickets at the airport. Except for the
fraction of a promille of all IP users that have their own portable
address space, RIRs don't even talk to IP users who are _connected_ to
the internet, let alone those who aren't! It just doesn't make sense to
involve the RIRs here.

Then setup an LIR who gets a /32 from the RIR and let that RIR handle
all enduser conversions about this. That covers 65k /48's and thus
endsites, when they run out of space, well they have their whois, they
have their DNS delegations recorded, thus they can easily justify more
address space.

You can make that LIR a non-profit organization where every member pays
their share of the LIR fees that the organization has to pay yearly to
the RIR. Presto problem solved.

This is already what is in place today, you just need a friendly LIR.

But for some reason people don't want this, as the LIR can go belly up?
Odd eh.

Greets,
 Jeroen