Re: Call for review of proposed update to ID-Checklist

2008-07-09 16:33:12
John C Klensin wrote:

        (iii) The IETF has indicated enough times that domain
        names, not literal addresses, should be used in both
        protocols and documents that doing anything else should
        reasonably require clear and strong justification.

I take issue with that as a general statement. There are plenty of applications where the ability to use literal addresses on an occasional basis is quite useful - e.g. for diagnostic purposes (of various kinds) or in a pinch when DNS is broken or not set up correctly. Furthermore addresses are precise where domain names are not.

To remove the capability to use address literals is to cripple our protocols.

(your other three points seemed fine to me)

Keith