Re: Progressing I-Ds Immediately Before Meetings

2008-07-19 04:56:33
Hi, Jari,

I had replied to Russ offlist, but since you're also thinking about ways to relax this restriction...

You do need new code if you want to enforce everything automatically.

Alternatively, we could assume that anyone with a draft they want to
"pseudo-submit" is posting it on some random website and posting a link to the
working group mailing list anyway ...

(am I the only person who sees "until this draft is announced, it's available here" postings?)

... so the only drafts we're throttling are the ones that we need to REALLY submit, so we can progress them toward publication ...

... so we might just decide that this is just as bogus as "drafts disappear
after six months", for the same reasons, and remove the block completely, and trust WG chairs to ensure that drafts discussed in the meetings WERE announced early enough for participants to read them.

Thanks,

Spencer

I am in favor of relaxations in this area. I realize that new code would be needed in the submissions tool, but I don't think it would be too hard either. We already treat expirations differently depending on the tracker state. I have not looked at the submission tool code, but I would be surprised if it cannot access drafts database and tracker contents.

I currently have several drafts in a state where the IESG, authors, and the WG are talking about the changes needed to approve the document. In one case we have a very long list of RFC Editor notes that appear satisfactory. In theory we could approve the draft with those, but I would like to use RFC Editor notes for minor corrections, and this one is not... so a new draft would be preferred. Yet it cannot be posted at this time. Having the new draft would also make it easier to have a discussion with the WG, because then the usual tools diffs etc would be available.

So, my suggestion would be to add a change to our long list of tool development tasks. In its simplest form, submissions should be allowed even after the deadline has passed if tracker state > pubrequest. Other, more complex policies might also be possible, but they would need more discussion. For instance, chair decision, allowing updates of drafts that have already been updated shortly before, etc.

Jari