Re: resignation business

2009-04-21 11:46:54
2009/4/19 Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>

I assume that the relevant procedures were applied, etc. Is there any
action that is warranted in other domains, or should this be left to brew in
your particular teakettle?

Dear Mr. Baker,

If you mean that usual ad-hominems applied against posters without a warning
of the Chair, and that their posting rights were terminated not suspended,
etc. I suppose these are the procedures of the new IETF, described by ISOC
as a corporation consortium subject to Platinum member influence.

Anyway, I only reacted to a nasty mail who did not even understand who/what
it was standing for.

IRT. the technical issues involved:

(1)    I belong to the france(_at_)large IDNA group, the same as other members
of
the WG-IDNABIS belong to the ASIWG or to Unicode. The same as the ASIWG we
do not support the declared WG overwhelming consensus over the TATWEEL case.
Not because we are experts in Arabic, but because we think that such a
decision belongs to Arabic experts.

(2)    I can report that the total consensus (same rule as ASIWG) to solve
this issue is to follow:

-          the advise given by Paul Hoffmann: wait for the IDNA2008 IETF/LC
if it happens sometimes

-           the recommendation given by Andrew Sullivan to understand a key
issue

-          the remark of Michel PY : write French before changing its
spelling

-          the technical positions recently taken by Pete Resnick and John
Klensin

-          the WG Charter which says: " The WG will stop work and recommend
that a new charter be generated if it concludes that any of the following
are necessary to meet its goals: ...  (iii) A change to the basic approach
taken in the design team documents (Namely: independence from Unicode
version and elimination of character mapping in the protocol).

We want independence and no character mapping in the protocol, what would be
immediately opposed by usage leading to an Internet balkanization. To the
contrary, we committed to get IDNA2008 as the core/default of the usage
evolution we work on.

For those wanting to understand better: there are two fundamental Internet
architecture and economy issues at stake through the way IDNA is or is not
implemented. They are the introduction of the missing presentation layer and
its financial impact on the domain name market. Up to now we respected the
principle of the IETF as an individuals’ organization, we protected the
users against the some dangerous standardization bias, and tried to explain
because we did not want to take the risk of an non concerted move.

We have observed that the IETF is now “a small and large corporation” issue
(cf. ISOC). That money plays openly its role as warned by IAB’s RFC 3869.
That it is clearly intended to harm our interests and those of many, for
erroneous or bad reasons we do not want to discuss, as we are only
interested in facts and the adequate operations of our own systems. That the
decision which, in our opinion, will balkanize the Internet has already been
taken and fully exposed. This means that our job is not anymore to prevent
but to fight it and to document a stable, open, and innovative alternative
anyone may chose to oppose, follow, copy, or enhance.

Marie-France Berny
Chercheur