Malthus ( was RE: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?)

2010-01-22 04:46:39

Hi Dean,

Sorry while I interrupt your melancholy ;)

Its' a "good read" as well, and I highly recommend it; my depressing
theory, however, is that we're falling off the tail of the success
hump and sliding back into a strictly Malthusian model of supply,
demand, and starvation.

--
Dean

If (as I guess) you are right that demand outstrips our ability to generate
resources, then the least we can do is push back the barrier by making things
more efficient.

IETF protocols have been one of the mechanisms which have significantly
reduced the cost of deploying useful robust communications networks.

Eventually, this may reach a point where networking is commodified beyond
the point where companies have an interest in flying staff around the world
to attend meetings.  I hope that by that stage we will have done work enough to
"eat our own dog food" and run equally as effective (and more efficient)
meetings online.

Notably, I have attended via work, and self funded (intermittently).  My finding
us that it is hard to get a company to stump up cash for IETF trips unless they
have a pecuniary or academic (which I guess is similar) interest.

Greg