Re: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?

2010-01-22 17:31:51
Abhishek,

The overriding reason, as far as I'm concerned, is that many or most
service providers have a policy of avoiding equipment purchases that
lock them into a single vendor if at all possible. Second sources are
necessary for a number of reasons, and not only for competition - what
happens if the selected vendor goes out of business, has a supply
chain failure, kills the product for whatever reason, or alternatively
simply can't meet the demand for the product? That's why you see
carriers sponsoring or conducting their own interoperability testing,
and include interoperability requirements in their RFPs. And while
interoperability can be obtained through private agreements between
vendors, it's much easier for all concerned if there are standardized
solutions that have been publicly vetted and agreed upon by the
community at large (both vendors and service providers).

Cheers,
Andy

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Abhishek Verma