Re: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?

2010-01-22 11:19:23
I expect them, but I do get mad about patent trolls "bleeding the golden
goose".  The only reason these patents have any value is because the
Internet has value.  When people who contribute nothing to that value
then come along and parasitize it,

Can I patent/copyright that statement ? :-).

Abhishek, if your idea is a good one that can contribute to the
networking community, I'd first make sure it is original, search/read
drafts or associated papers to see if by any chance somebody already
had the idea before, if you don't find anything you can publish a
paper and propose a draft. If your idea is original, has value and
represents an improvement or additional feature to a protocol after
surviving the grueling process of peer reviews and discussions then
you may have something worth the effort/cost/time to get a patent.

I the "implementation" of your idea provides value in the sense that
may help them sell more or provide a better service, vendors will
include it in their products.

If you are just for the money, then wrong forum.

My .02