Re: FW: Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-yang (YANG - A data modeling languagefor NETCONF) to Proposed Standard

2010-03-12 15:53:51
Hi,

At 180-ish pages, it's a pretty daunting spec.  At a cursory glance, it mostly
seems to be yet another schema language for XML - I didn't see anything in the
introduction to suggest otherwise:

   This document describes the syntax and semantics of the YANG
   language, how the data model defined in a YANG module is represented
   in XML, and how NETCONF operations are used to manipulate the data.

Sounds to me like a schema language with a little bit of operational semantics
attached for manipulation.

What is it that this specification provides that cannot be expressed with XML
Schema or RelaxNG?  And if it's not very much, wouldn't it make more sense to
frame this as a modest extension of an existing schema language?

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental here:  if so, it would help if the
introduction could explain what that might be.

#g
--

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
 XML and APPS Experts,

I would like to draw you attention on the IETF Last Call for the YANG
data modeling language for NETCONF that started yesterday and will last
for about one month. Your comments and reviews will be appreciated.
Thanks and Regards,

Dan