Re: On Day Passes..

2010-03-24 21:12:50
Danny McPherson wrote:
The work happens on the mailing lists, consensus is judged on the mailing list, and
> participation is encouraged as well.

Welllll ....  Yes, that's the policy, but it's unclear to me
that that's the actual practice in every working group and in every
area.  If we're going to predicate another policy on the work
being mailing list-centric, we should probably make certain
that's actually the case.  I know there are individuals who've
contributed heavily without ever attending meetings but I think
that's rather unusual and hasn't happened recently to my knowledge.

And if you buy a day pass, you should certainly be nomcom eligible.

I think this is a similar question.  If mailing lists provide
really do provide engagement and participation in the process, I
think that's true.  If they don't, it's not.  On the other hand
the requirement for attendance to serve on nomcom provides its
own answer to that question, I think.

As I said, I'm ambivalent about this.  I think for a lot of people
it's not the money, it's the time, and providing day passes seems
to recognize and support that.

Melinda