Re: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

2010-03-30 08:50:15
I'd recommend telling your bank and your credit card issuers that you are
planning on traveling to The Netherlands at least a week or two in advance.
My ATM card and two of my credit cards had a policy last year of declining all
charges from that country due to large amounts of ATM/credit card fraud several
years ago.   Of course, I only found that out after the conference closed and I
had absolutely no way of purchasing a train ticket back to Amsterdam....  I
ended having to walk for a mile or two to find a post office to change US
Dollars to Euros, since the only credit card that I had that worked in The
Netherlands was my American Express card, and (a) I didn't know its pin number,
and (b) it was accepted at the train station.   (And when I called my bank to
get my ATM card authorized for The Netherlands, they told me it would take
24-36 hours, and I wasn't going to be in the country that long.   Very
Frustrating.)

My fault for not having a secondary backup of traveling with a hundred dollars
of Euro bills, of course, which is now my standard policy.  I had gotten
spoiled with having my ATM card work everywhere......

-- Ted