Re: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

2010-03-30 14:20:41
I live in Germany, and I had ordered all the Credit cards (Master and Visa)
which I used during 1994-2008 explicitly _without_ PIN -- because I did _NOT_
want them to be usable to draw cash from an ATM, only for signature
based transactions.  Going into a bank and obtaining cash
with card, picture-ID and signature was still possible.
Paying in restaurants and shops, hotels and rental cars is also
possible with only signature-based transacations.

I have never seen a credit card purchase with PIN.
Have Visa/MasterCard/etc. come up with additional payment options
like Maestro, ElectronicCash and the stuff that you have on traditional
ATM cards?

-Martin

Ole Jacobsen wrote:

This is only true for EUROPEAN issued credit cards (some of which have
chips and some which don't). You can get a PIN for your US credit
card, but it will NOT work for credit card purchases, only as your PIN
for cash advances (like an ATM card). There is no PIN required when
using US-based cards for purchases, and if you are asked to provide
one, the PIN you have been given for cash advances will NOT work.

Yes, it is confusing to say the least.

I agree that we should move this to a new list: ietf-78 which I hereby
ask Ray to create.

Ole