Re: [newprep] WG Review: Stringprep after IDNA2008 WG (newprep)

2010-05-19 10:59:38

On May 19, 2010, at 6:40 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

We're trying to balance two things here: (1) we want to get as much
input as possible from current and potential customers of stringprep or
newprep/stringprepbis/whatever, but (2) we want to scope the WG tightly
enough that it doesn't have a mandate to work on "anything related to
internationalized strings".

I read this, and the proposed charter as meeting my needs: I'm not working with
a current stringprep profile, but want to define something like a stringprep
profile. I now don't want to use stringprep as is, but it's framework approach
is what I need. I'm willing to put effort into such work.

I also whole-heartedly agree that we don't want this working group to be
"anything related to non-ASCII strings".

In an email exchange with Marc and Alexey Melnikov last week, I proposed
adding ...

  Although the group will seek input from and may provide advice to
  "customers" working on other technologies, it will prioritize work
  on the above-listed stringprep profiles and will take on additional
  tasks as official milestones only after rechartering.

Wait: That seems like a step back from the original charter. That seems to
exclude any work on a "stringprepbis" or other generally useful draft. If so,
I'm left a bit in the cold.

It seems to me that while the WG should examine the particulars of the
stringprep profiles under concern one by one - that wouldn't be the way we'd
want to update them. Instead we'd want to either come up with a way to bring
stringprep as a concept forward, or replace it with something similar, so that
all the profiles under examination would have a consistent treatment in
"updating". (Though I admit the likelihood of exceptions.) I don't think this
kind of approach should be out of scope from the get go.

        - Mark

P.S.: I've simply replied all, but should this discussion be just newprep only,
or do all those other lists want/need to be in on it?

Mark Lentczner
Sr. Systems Architect
Technology Integration
Linden Lab

markl(_at_)lindenlab(_dot_)com

Zero Linden
zero(_dot_)linden(_at_)secondlife(_dot_)com