Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-00

2010-06-23 09:20:50
I'm with Ran and others who stated that best is the enemy of good in this case. I think Russ' draft is a step in the right direction and will reduce complexity and effort. An incremental improvement. We should adopt it in Maastricht. And lets avoid too much fine-tuning or fragmentation of the proposals...

Having said that, I did have a couple of other observations. First, it has been repeatedly noted the IETF community has given up on advancing documents on the standards ladder. In some sense this is true. Out of the 122 documents currently in the RFC Editor queue, 0 are for Full Standard, 1 document (0.8%) is for Draft Standard, 8 (6%) are for Experimental, 28 (23%) are for Informational, and 83 (68%) are for Proposed Standard. However, 13 (11%) are bis documents of various sorts. And that's not a special occurrence, we do produce overall quite many revisions of existing RFCs. My interpretation is that while overall the community is not that interested in the standards levels, the IETF is still very interested in keeping our specifications up to date, correcting bugs and maybe in some cases even removing or adding some features. I think it is valuable work and needs to continue. And here is where in my opinion the possible value of the two-step ladder lies. The implementation reports may help in directing the "bis" draft to become simplified, and based on actual experience.

But I would also be OK with a one step model. You can draw "running code" support for that model from the above data.

Jari