Re: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

2010-09-04 12:14:05
This sounds like there is potential for crowd sourcing here.

For example, I can tell you nothing about Vonage, but a fair
amount about Cox Cable Internet. What you want to know is
known, just not (yet) in a way you can easily access.

Would a Yelp type model be appropriate ?

With the understanding that getting accurate and consistent
measurements is really hard (David Morris's note pointed out
some of the issues), have a look at http://www.testmy.net/ .
(Disclaimer: I not only have no affiliation with them other than
a sign-in to keep data, I haven't bother to find out who they
really are.)

A few folks met informally over lunch at the last IETF to discuss whether
there was a need for standardization around ISP performance/quality
measurements, and to understand what work was already going.

In the U.S., the FCC is adopting a similar model as in the UK, Sweden, and
other countries.  See http://www.testmyisp.com for info on a pilot test of
some measurements that are planned.

And you can also see http://www.speedtest.net, which is I think the most
popular web-based speed test globally these days (>1.5B tests collected).
They've also made their full dataset available at http://www.netindex.com.
With NetIndex you can click on your state and/or city and see who is tops
in speed.  So for example, if you lived in Redmond, you'd get this
http://www.netindex.com/download/4,201/Redmond/ and in Miami you'd get
this http://www.netindex.com/download/4,70/Miami/. The site also enables a
5-star rating, though it's pretty basic.

Lastly there are sites like http://www.broadbandreports.com/reviews that
provide more detailed ISP reviews.

-- Jason