Re: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

2010-09-22 11:16:40
At 7:23 AM +0200 9/8/10, Mans Nilsson wrote:

Subject: Re: My comments to the press about RFC 2474 Date: Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 09:52:08PM -0700 Quoting Randall Gellens (rg+ietf(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com):

 What is at the other end of the fiber (either STOKAB or individual home
 owners)?  Is there a central interconnect point where any ISP can
 connect?

 Mostly, either the power companies or the telco have rolled out sparse
 grid (interconnecting cities and within them, CO's.) The people doing
 the digging are actually building last mile, which is missing
 everywhere except in business areas of major towns. (and it is of
 course available in places where this has been done) Last mile ends up
 in either new mini-CO facilities or adjacent to previously existing
 facilities so that the last mile can be lit and  connected to the
 backbone.

 In the case of STOKAB, they are present where you want them; which
 means that basically all CO and colo facilities have a STOKAB ODF. My
 current workplace has two. There is no central per se, even if STOKAB
 do concentrate interconnection at a number of places in the Stockholm
 area. Since their product is "e2e glass, period. " it is really only a
 cable plant.

What are the two ends of "e2e glass"? One is the home or business; is the other an ISP of one's choice?

--
Randall Gellens