Re: DMARC and yahoo

2014-04-16 07:47:54

On Apr 16, 2014, at 1:13 PM, Stephen Farrell
<stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:

This is probably obvious, but had gmail.com done what yahoo.com
has done, that could I guess have a pretty significant impact on
the IETF getting stuff done for a while since a lot of folks in
the last few years seem to have migrated their IETF mail to
gmail.com as a reasonable way to get around corporate this-and-that
issues.

I’m one of those folks. It was mostly over spam filtering rejecting posts that
it shouldn’t, especially messages from the lists that seemed to be coming from
my email address. And rejected messages lead to unsubscribing. I got fed up
with re-enabling my subscription every week or so.

Maybe people who've done that might want to consider whether its
such a good plan for so many IETF participants to be dependent on
just one service now that we have a demonstration that s/none/reject/
in one TXT RR can have such an impact.

I considered this, so I first tried another provider (neither Yahoo! nor
GMail). It turned out to be blocked from posting to @irtf.org mailing lists. I
waited a week for this to sort itself out, but that didn’t happen. So I thought
I’d complain/open a ticket/something. I searched their site and couldn’t find a
support email address. The troubleshooting flowchart ended with a phone number.
I spent 20 minutes on hold and then 10 more with the firstest or first-line
support (“yes, I’m sure I have an account.  Yes, I’m logged in. Yes, I’m sure
the other SMTP server is up”). He gave me the number for the second line of
support. In the US. So I gave up, especially since their IMAP didn’t work with
my client.

It looks like there’s a lot of providers out there, but there’s not that many
who work correctly.  So I ended up with a GMail account like many others.

Yoav