Re: What I've been wondering about the DMARC problem

2014-04-17 20:35:18
The mailman fix is worse than the disease. I think the .INVALID fix is
much better, because Reply-all will still work.

From the latest DMARC draft, section 8:

"If the RFC5322.From domain does not exist in the DNS, Mail Receivers
SHOULD direct the receiving SMTP server to reject the message."

As far as I can tell, that bit of poor advice hasn't been implemented.

So if a receiver that is implementing DMARC is faithful to the draft,
that won't work very well (nobody has gotten a TLD allocation for
.invalid, I hope?)

See RFC 2606.

R's,
John

PS: I did a few experiments, and putting two addresses on the From:
line works remarkably well to avoid inappropriate policy failures,
e.g.

 From: Marissa <marissam(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>, foo-list(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
 Subject: whatever