Re: Moderation on ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

2014-07-22 14:52:07
On 7/22/14 3:31 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
I think this is pretty close to what I meant. Chide, correct or amend would not be incorrect either.

If the "moderator" steps in too early, too often, the back lash will put paid to the experiment. So I expect that there will be an element of correction from the formal "facilitators" or silence.

We have, over the years, have had chairs who only step in to working group discussions when it's time to chide or correct people. We've had other chairs who are very proactive, who guide this discussion by saying things like, "It sounds to me like the conclusion of this discussion is X. Anyone disagree with that, or are we done?" Which model gets used depends on the particular chair and their skill level, the participants and their interaction mode, and sometimes even the tone of a particular discussion. Sometimes "guidance" will work well, and sometimes "remonstration" is the only thing one can do.

I think on the IETF list, this will depend on the abilities of the moderator/facilitator/whateverator, and depend on the discussion being moderated/facilitated/whateverated.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478