Re: Formal IESG Teleconference WebEx and Dial-in Information

2014-09-17 05:18:31
We are an international organisation. And that is why the time is listed in UTC.

The message does list another time as well, in fact does so first. It also
lists a local phone number. Another IETF meeting (IAB) uses a template that I
have found very useful:

IAB Business Meeting
Wed 2014-09-10

0700-0830 PDT
1000-1130 EDT
1400-1530 UTC
1600-1730 Germany, Switzerland
1700-1830 Finland
2200-2330 China

That is, it lists a few likely time zones for people for convenience. In this
case the known timezones of people who are at least going to be on the call.
I’m going to ask the secretariat to do something similar for the IESG calls,
because it helps me and other participants to do their TZ math. I know I can
always click on a link to find out, do the math, or use the Internet to find
out local phone numbers. But sadly there are a few situations where I might be
on a call without Internet connectivity.

By the way, notice when I said *for convenience*. We are an international
organisation but please do not ask us to remove information that is convenient
for many participants just out of principle. And I think we have bigger
problems in the Internet to solve than the announcement format for IESG calls
:-) Unless, of course, we made all items local to Finland, which I think would
be a significant Internet improvement :-)

And now, I am going to attempt move the discussion to a direction that I think
would be better use of our time. I saw a few participants on the previous call.
Anyone on this list who joined? Did you find it useful? Or if you did not join,
do you find it useful that you can, if you want to follow a particular topic?
This time we had a record quick call, by the way, so there wasn’t that much
actual discussion. But the different calls can be different in this respect.

Jari