pem-dev

Re: A brief comparison of email encryption protocols

1996-02-19 20:33:00
In fact, MOSS is too flexible.  In most circumstances, signatures should be
performed before encryption.  MOSS allows people to sign ciphertext, by
putting a multipart/encrypted inside a multipart/signed.  The MOSS
specification offers no warnings about this "feature."

In most cases, sure, but what about when I receive an encrypted message I
cannot decrypt myself and want to pass it on to someone else while assuring
that it isn't tampered with? Situations do arise where encrypt-then-sign,
or encrypt-sign-encrypt, or whatever, are useful.

I agree that a document talking about the various combinations of security
elements and how they can be used would be a good thing, but not as part of the
specification itself. Been there, done that -- prose along these lines was part
of early drafts but effectively prevented working group closure.

In any case, this flexibility in MOSS is also present in S/MIME and in
Mike Elkin's PGP/MIME proposal. Similar variations are possible in
X.400 as well.

                                Ned