pem-dev

Re: A brief comparison of email encryption protocols

   To some extent you are right. There certainly is a distinction between
protocol and implementation. However, some aspects of the "how to get a
public key you trust" problem require cooperation between more than one
person, and thus fall within the scope of a standardization effort.

PEM mandates X.509 certificates, the use of a single, trusted root
(the IPRA), and provides an ad-hoc method for transmission of
certificates and CRLS in the absence of X.500 servers.  Bootstrapping
trust in the IPRA's certificate is the only step that requires out of
band verification.  PEM is quite clear about what constitutes a
trusted certificate.  This was apparently too much standardization for
many who wanted a more flexible trust mechanism.  The delay in getting
the IPRA up and running did not help.

MIME supports the PEM certification hierarchy, as well as other trust
models, including the use of certificate-free, bare public keys with
trust a direct burden on the user.  Much of what is mandatory in PEM
is optional in MOSS.  Use will dictate the method of trust used.

  That said, I'd like to emphasize a point made by the S/MIME FAQ. It says
that "MOSS can be thought of as a framework rather than a specification,"
because it fails to specify certain details such as the cryptographic
algorithms.

This was discussed before.  You're emphasizing an erroneous point.
The following is a more complete excerpt from
ftp.rsa.com:/pub/S-MIME/smimeqa.txt which I just downloaded:

  MOSS is designed to overcome the limitations of PEM by
  handling MIME messages and being more liberal in the
  hierarchy requirements.  But MOSS has so many implementation
  options that it is possible for two independent developers
  to come up with two MOSS mailers that will actually not "talk"
  to each other.  MOSS can be thought of as a framework rather
  than a specification, and considerable work in
  implementation profiling has yet to be done.  The overriding
  goal of S/MIME is interoperability, with a focus on e-mail.

The concensus on this list, at least, is that the above is incorrect.
MOSS is a specification and two independent developers who follow the
specification will have interoperability.  MOSS does make use of a
framework, RFC1847: Security Multiparts for MIME: Multipart/Signed and
Multipart/Encrypted, which S/MIME ignores.

MOSS itself, which uses RFC1847, is described in RFC1848.  Even if the
authors of S/MIME felt that their solution was superior to MOSS, they
could have used RFC1847 and made integration much easier.  If RFC1847
is used as a common security framework, then mail user agents need not
understand anything but RFC1847 -- layered security services like
MOSS, S/MIME, and even PGP can be handled by "helper" applications.

I see this tendency as one of the most common failings of the
email encryption standards. I understand the desire to make a
specification modular, and to include a certain degree of abstraction. In
many cases the designers go further and specifiy only a part of the entire
bits-on-the-wire protocol, presumably hoping that the fairy godmother will
come along and standardize the rest.

The bigger problem is that there are more folks interested in academic
discussions than there are interested in implementing something that
works.  Until software is out there and people are using it,
everything we say is so much conjecture.  56-bit DES not enough for
privacy?  There is no privacy now.  MOSS is modular and it will evolve
with newer, stronger algorithms.  Any MOSS implementation that
supports DES could support tripple-DES with minimal (trivial, even)
changes and the protocol supports such additions.

PEM had its share of problems and its lack of success in the market
has undoubtedly made many think twice about implementing MOSS.  A
shame, since implementing MOSS is not difficult for someone who has
implemented PEM.

It's happened before too many times, and has the potential to bring
down an encrypted email standard.

The standard has not been brought up (no one willing to implement), so
there's nothing to bring down.  Sad, really.

If we're
lucky, any remaining unspecifed bits will get filled in by the de facto
standard implementation. However, given the problems with implementations
so far, I don't think it would be wise to count on it.
   Thus, I believe that the RISK of underestimating the domain of
"implementation details" that need to be standardized remains a real one.

No, the risk is that we will spend all our time worrying about the
future when we have a good, modular protocol in our hands.  I believe
that MOSS is the better protocol, but no one appears to be willing to
do aything substantial with it.  RSA has the market presence to push
S/MIME and that may be what's needed to get secure email out on
people's desks.

  Mark