Spammish?

2003-02-15 11:57:43
In the recent past it has been suggested to me that I could allow messages
to "bubble" down through all my procmail recipes before determining that a
message is, in fact, spam - and then filing/deleting the message (if it
is, in fact, spam).

Often this suggestion has been accompanied by the term "spammish."  I
understand, from context, what "spammish" means; but I'm having a problem
with the concept that a message can *be* "spammish."  In my simplistic
world, a message is either spam or it isn't.

I believe the process would involve (using formail) the addition of a flag
so the message header at the end of the "bubble" session would include
something like:

etc.

(I believe dman (and others) assign a "score" to the message; but to me
the concept appears to be pretty much the same.)

Is this process designed to "tweak" the filtering to reduce the
possibilities of false positives?  Is this the only purpose?

In the six months (admittedly a short time) I've been using procmail, the
only false positives I've recieved have been the result of a poorly
written recipe - ie, my fault.

                                - fleet -