Re: "tofu"?

2003-02-18 20:17:49
On Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003, at 18:35 Canada/Mountain, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 17:35 2003-02-18 -0600, David W. Tamkin did say:
The note I'd add to the text of my copy is to be extra careful not to send the reply both publicly and privately, because the author is the kind who really hates to get a privately mailed copy of a post to a list.

Actually, dealing with the nimrods who address the poster AND list is easy enough using procmail (discard messages not _through_ the procmail list which list it as one of the cleartext recipients). I still mark messages containing my address as a cleartext recipient as "needing my attention" as they were directly addressed. The real problem is dealing with the people who post a question to the list, to which you reply on-list, and then they reply to that entirely offlist as if you're a free one-on-one tech support person for them.

<looks around> What are you trying to say?

Surely other frequent posters here have had this happen - someone insists on carrying on directly with you because you were thoughtful enough to answer their original question, and once that starts, you're stuck having to reply to them instead of figuring that someone else can followup on some other matter relating to their question (which they can't, because at this point, the person is carrying on offlist). Failing to respond is inconsiderate, and posting that you don't want to provide support offlist also frequently gets the freeloader up in arms with you.

Oh well, I don't mind when people tell me to sod off, so that's ok.  :)

Decent solution - provided you've got that caffeine running through your system. I generally notice the addresses in the To: field when I've clicked [reply] though. <g>

I'm impressed. I hardly ever notice anything in the headers when I hit reply. :/

--
Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying/And dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.