Re: rule stopped working

2003-05-02 14:25:45
 --- Sean B. Straw - Professional Software Engineering
<PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org> wrote:
The definition of 'obvious' varies.  Are all dirs in mountpoints with
available disk space?  What is the size of the file in comparison with
the
available space in /tmp (which shouldn't matter for an mbx delivery, but
it's worth noting anwyay).

I'm pretty sure that the mail folder is on a different filesystem than my
INBOX, but we did check my personal quota's (where the mail folder files
reside) and there is lots of space.

I can move messages manually into the mail folder (I can get pine to
append the message to the mail file, no problem).

It looks like the mail delivery is being done by Postfix (sorry I do
not know what version) and the operating system is FreeBSD
(4.7-PRERELEASE).

Neither do we, since you didn't even send this message from your own
server.

What version of procmail?

procmail v3.22 2001/09/10

I cannot tell what version of Postfix is being run from mail headers, it
just says '(Postfix)', I will try to find out from my sysadmin.

procmail: [28351] Thu May  1 16:10:34 2003
procmail: Match on
"(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^a-zA-Z])?)(_dot_)*raven(_at_)annexcatrescue(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca"
procmail: Locking "acr.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=acr"
procmail: Opening "acr"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Error while writing to "acr"

'man procmail' sez:
       Error while writing to "x"
                              Nonexistent  subdirectory, no write
permission, pipe died or disk full.

I have 2-3 other rules in my .procmailrc that are almost exactly the
same,but they continue to work.

Because, lemme guess, they write to a different mailbox file.

Yep.

How large is this file, and what sort of freespace do you have?  Are the
messages which are being delivered to it particularly large (FTR that
number at the trailing end of the delivery summary in the procmail log
is a byte count for the message)

I've been sending test messages (short subject line, no body, no
attachments) just to see if it can be processed, but to no avail.

The only difference I can see is that the destination mail folder is much
larger than my other mail folders.

-rw-------  1 raven  15     66503480 May  2 14:16 acr

I do not believe this file is corrupt and the permissions are the same as
all my other mail folders (which procmail can write to).  Pine still seems
to be able to extract mail messages from it with no problem.

The only thing I have heard so far is a rumour that Postfix may have
problems with very large mailboxes.

So what I have done, is disabled this rule and re-created it, having the
e-mail now being appended to a new mail folder.  And voila it works!

But why... ?  :(

Just to clarify, does procmail actually do the writing to mail folders or
does Postfix?  It's not entirely clear to me how these things work once an
e-mail arrives for a user.  [NEWBIE ALERT! -- but willing to learn!]  :)

Raven.